World Syntegrity® Project 2016
This is an invitation to inter-generational teams focusing on whole planet issues to use the World Syntegrity Protocol to generate trust, precision, and action demanded for a viable human future.
Where did this "self-organization invention" come from?
In 1993, Garry Davis, operating on behalf of world citizens, asked Stafford Beer, then Commissioner for Cybernetics, to design and deliver 30 syntegrations for world citizens. The co-experiment with the Team Syntegrity team (Toronto 1990-2000) gives world citizens the opportunity to use the syntegrity process and protocol to co-create whole system solutions to place-people-planet issues.
The Core 1993 Question was: "How can we, as sovereign world citizens, govern our world?" (see history at http://www.worldservice.org/synhis.html)
A short animation of the protocol can be seen at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3upusHbZO4w
In 2009, following Garry Davis's presentation of the Mondo (world citizen currency) at COP 15 in Copenhagen, David Beatty accepted the invitation to re-activate the World Syntegrity Project.
World Syntegrity Project 4.0 Financing the WSP 4.0 Launch describe the unique features of the protocol, and the resource requirements to scale up WSP capability for the 21st century. Garry Davis saw the value of the protocol for world citizens and acquired the rights for world citizens to use syntegration via WSP. David Beatty was part of the start-up TSI enterprise; a Certified Designer of TS technology, and active in 50+ syntegrations during his 25-year TSI involvement.
There are 3 qualities of the architecture that offer noteworthy advantages for citizen-to-citizen co-creation.
- 1.The protocol creates an equal opportunity field for high-diversity stakeholders to reach agreements on complex whole system situations. (see Appendix 1 for quality standards) Syntegrity is an architecture for "self-system-organizing." The transparency and optimal connectivity features enrich group comprehension and reflection, generate commitment and aligned acting agreements while enhancing community trust. What is decided is clear, and accessible for other world citizens.
- 2.The structure of the protocol expands, enabling coherent peer-to-peer policy and action networks of 750 leaders to be connected in 25 locations for "spontaneous co-operation" initiatives, integrated whole system policy and continuous adaptation/improvement capability.
- 3.The 21st century brings world citizenship to the daily consciousness of millions of people. Millions of us travel the world -- as tourists, refugees, agents, etc. Billions of us live a click away from Planet Now. Our science stretches billions of years back and millions of light years out. The Web enables access to worldwide knowledge, services, and connections.
We must co-create shared understanding, commitment, and aligned action initiatives that inspire us to realize community for "one-planet-living." Declare yourself a world citizen and contribute to the creative journey of humanity 21.
The 2016 Offer
There are a large number of local and planet organisations seeking to create and regulate a Humanity Commons for a viable future. The World Service Alliance invites you to use WSP in creating collective agreements -- policy-into-action outcomes that you share with other world citizens and world citizen groups.
You don't have to "give up" loyalty to your organisation -- nor your identity. Registration as a world citizen signals that where you are engaged, humanity and planet are conscious elements of your decisions and actions as a human being.
- 1.The host organisation (e.g. Avaaz, World Social Forum, Rotary, 350.org, Earth Charter, AISEC, etc.) agrees to operate with the U.N. Framework of the Declaration of Human Rights (1948) and the 2008 Declaration of Gaia Rights as legal frameworks for their activities. http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/ http://therightsofnature.org/universal-declaration/
- 2.You take responsibility for co-answering a Core Question that needs to be answered at local and global levels. (e.g. Any of the Sustainable Development Goals could be a focus. See https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/?menu=1300
- How can we/I as world citizens living on the North Sea protect & re-vitalize life in the new ecology emerging in the Artic?
- How can world citizens living in Cairo and Copenhagen succeed together in meeting the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals 6-10?
- How fast can we together move from the fossil fuel civilisation to an abundant energy systems world-wide -- starting in ______________?
- How can we as world citizens best contribute to implementing U.N. Sustainable Development Goal #4 (Quality Education) for the 21st century?
- The specific question will emerge from the challenge and inspiration of the core team.
- 3.Participants register as World Citizens at http://www.worldservice.org/reg.html
- 4.Your core team of 6 works with the WSP Home Team to design the Core Question, qualify the diversity of the Launch team you want to assemble, and the digital formats for participation and follow-up.
- 5.Together we attract the funding to host the Launch event. Initial design, delivery, and your team facilitator training costs will be significant (250 K ballpark).
- 1.Different organisation, for different issues, can recognize and support each other within a self-organizing, self-governing protocol that engenders community trust and respect.
- 2.Scale-up strategies and continuous adaptation/improvement systems can be quickly shared among citizen-centred communities and creative Commons.
- 3.Momentum and Leverage among citizens world-wide can be focused on micro-to-macro issues to encourage/demand current system leaders to shift to viable one-planet living policies.
- 4.Inter-generational partnership for a whole century journey can be designed to learn/unlearn together how to proceed together through this "Transform or Die" macro-environment currently escalating.
- 5.The capability to participate locally in a wide range of "one-planet living" issues is a form of action learning and validation that fits the challenges and opportunities of the 21st century.
How do I/we explore this further?
Contact David Beatty at: email@example.com
David Beatty is the World Syntegrity Protocol Co-ordinator, Nijmegen, Netherlands
David Gallup at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appendix 1: Syntegrity design operationalizes the following system features:
- 1) Purpose-Centered: The Attractor Question expresses the focus of the syntegration event. Around this question, participants co-create and express the Shared Purpose and the aligned actions that follow In the WSP4.0, the focus is on Viable Crossover: How do we as world citizens living in __________ self-organize and govern ourselves in our Crossover to a viable human future? We are all facing a situation of high uncertainty with big consequences. Time is running-out. We have to find the principles on which we can agree to align and complete action. Self-organization for world citizens also entails self-governance.
- 2) Equal opportunity: Every person has an equal opportunity to influence and be influenced . . . No edge has the edge . . . all have equal information access and exchange opportunities.
- 3) High Internal and External Connectivity: Every topic has access to 11 of the 12 topics as they are developing. Each person has a unique 4 topic connectivity to integrate. Icosahedral configurations can connect up to 750 people while maintaining the other qualities of the shape.
- 4) High Participation: say what you have to say; take responsibility for your communication; everyone's input is welcome.
- 5) Synergistics of Diversity: the variety of the participants should match the scope of the results that are intended. It has not yet been established what the how is of coherent the self-governance.
- 6) High Self-Governance: no gurus, bureaucrats, nor senior managers set the boundaries of what can be explored and decided by the group. The requisite variety design is non-hierarchical. The reverberation of the structure streams the group energy to where it needs to be in a transparent, high-access communication medium.
- 7) High Speed Agreement-making. In 3.5 days, 30-40 people can reach aligned forward-action agreements together. Our decision-making infra-structures are too slow to survive in the real-time 21st century.
- 8) Transparency: All conversations and decision are made in a public space with a 1/3 of the participants present, and representing 10 of the other 11 topics. Digital tagging.
- 9) Open Source/Open Access: Any group of world citizens who wishes to self-organize can use the protocol, report their results and lessons learned, and have the option to join a continuous improvement learning community.
- 10) Reciprocal: Each person, each topic, and each syntegration make agreements with others where the value exchange is considered just, and the rewards from achievement are deemed fairly shared.
- 11) Non-hierarchical. It is possible to self-organize in decision-co-ordinating Waves of 30, 150, 750 people. That is a lot of network power. We have to weave collaborative processes into the way we Crossover together. Coherence is an extremely valuable quality. It emerges from our encounter with our challenges, ourselves, and the systems we live in.
- 12) Robust Redundancy: can handle missing people; quick inclusion of new members.
- 13) Sacred Space: Resonant universal architecture. The Field. Unity Consciousness. Now.
These features, built-in to the protocol, are independent of facilitator influence. The use of the protocol will be on an Open Source basis for world citizens. However, access to the method, experienced syntegrators, etc. will be designed to ensure syntegrity quality (legitimization of outcomes) and to diffuse delivery competency in many languages, cultures, and problem-centered applications.
For those seeking further in-depth knowledge of the syntegrity protocol, please see Stafford Beer, Beyond Dispute, The Invention of Team Syntegrity, John Wiley & Sons, 1994.Return to World Syntegrity Project page